Arthritis and Ayurveda
Arthritis is an auto-immune chronic inflammatory disorder. The word “Arthritis” is a greek word which means “Joint – inflammation”. The inflammation can affect one or more joints and also other organs depending upon the severity of the condition. The most common symptoms of arthritis is pain, swelling, stiffness, discomfort in the fingers, hands, wrist, spine etc.
Ayurveda describes two basic types of Arthritis namely – Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Ayurvedic names for Oesteoarthritis is “Sandhigat Vata” and Rheumatoid Arthritis is “Ama Vata”
According to Ayurveda, the root cause of Osteoarthritis is aggravation of Vata or Air which is mainly due to bad and irregular eating habits like – eating excessive cold and raw foods, sour foods, excessive hot and uncooked foods, irregular meal timings, higher stress level, lack of sleep, excessive intake of alcohol, etc.
In Rheumatoid Arthritis, the level of Ama and Pitta increases to a very high level and when both these combines with aggravated Vata moves into the channels of body and affect the Ojas and forcing it to deplete and change its qualities and begin to function incorrectly. This causes inflammation, swelling and pain. The main causes of aggravation of Pitta are excessive hot, fried, sour and salty, fermented and acidic foods, eating at odd hours, excessive hot baths etc.
As Arthritis is a Vata disorder, so to balance this Vata, below mentioned procedures are of utmost importance to be done with other treatments :
- In the morning one must drink a maximum of 1 litre of water.
- After 10-15 minutes – Mix 2 spoons of Coconut/Mustard oil with 3 spoons of water. Keep it in mouth for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it.
- After this, massage full body with any oil(Desi cow ghee, Mustard, Coconut, Til) from downward to upward position.
- After massage, pour 15 drops of desi ghee in each nostril and few drops in naval also.
- Apply 15-20 drops of mustard oil in the rectum. At night, drink milk with 1 tsp of desi cow ghee in it (do not add honey in desi ghee as it will be poisonous)
Herbal and Treatment
Parijaat/Haarsingaar leaves are very beneficial in treating arthritis. Make a paste of 5 leaves on a mortar and slowly add 1 cup of water in the paste. Drink the whole mixture empty stomach in the morning. If you are not able to get these leaves then you can get it in Kwath/powder form which is readily available in the market. Method of taking the kwath is – Soak 1 tsp of parijaat-kwath in 1 glass of water at night. In the morning, mash it properly and drink it empty stomach.
Treatment with Classical medicines
- Rasnadi Churn / Maharasanadhi Churn / Rasana Saptkam – Mix 3 spoons of Churn with 3 spoons of water and take it in the morning empty stomach.
- Lasunadi Vati – Take ½ tablet in the afternoon after meals for 15 days.
- Bal Ashwagandhadi Oil / Ksheerabala Oil – Massage with any of these oil gently over the affected area. If these oils are not available then you can make a paste of Rasnadi Churn and water and apply(massage) it over the affected area.
- Parijaat Kwath + Dashmool Kwath – Add 1 tsp of each kwath in 1 ½ glass of water and boil it till it remains half. Cool it at room temperature and consume it empty stomach in the morning and 1 ½ hours before meals in the evening.
General precautions to be followed
- In case of severe constipation then one may take castor oil with milk at night.
- In case of gas, consume lavanbhasker churna before meals.
- Avoid consuming Rice and wheat products.
- Add intake of millets in your daily meals.
- Do not mix fruits and food.